Tuesday, May 1, 2012

introducing the main act: LAKEN!! :)

This is very overdue, but try finding the time with a newborn!
i am glad, happy, ecstatic to introduce to you... my prince, and a future lucky girls prince charming.
I am so glad to be back from the hospital and in my own element, but I weirdly wish that I could just rent a room and stay there with this baby! This first week of his life has been the most emotional week I've ever had in my entire life. (that mainly has to do with breast feeding, and that is a going to be a blog of its own.)

Here is my birth story -- (too bad, i'm not a great story teller)

Last Tuesday the 24th I had a drs appointment to see if I had made any progress. Up to the appointment I had been doing everything from walking constantly, drinking and eating pineapple, drinking weird concoctions, and rolling on a yoga ball. I just didn't want my pregnancy to end in a c-section! At the appointment, my doctor told me that I only dilated 1 cm, and he striped the membrane while checking (OUCH!). He asked if i could be at the hospital that night to start the inducing process, because I would have my baby "tomorrow." And so it began.

I can't even describe the overwhelming feeling I had on the drive home. everyone has been texting day after day after day asking how i am and if there has been any sign of him coming... and day after day i would have to respond.. nope nothing! So now it was my turn to finally tell everyone............... it's time! Once the responses started coming in all i could do was just not respond, not look at my phone, just take that moment to take in the lasts parts of being at home and pregnant. i thought about the whole thing, the start the middle, the whole thing coming to an end. everything i have stood for was coming down to this. Ready, or not, here Laken comes.

The first night in the hospital was great. That was the night they started the medicine process to soften my cervix before the pitocin starts the next day. I ended up getting back to some of the people that had texted me or called -- I started to feel better. My mother painted my fingernails and we just spent time watching TV. My sister Laina, cousin tiff, and very dear friend Kayla stopped by just to give me words of encouragement and just show support. (Love them four!)

Wednesday Morning... the pitocin began, as well as the contractions and the people visiting. that is a deadly combination. especially for me. i didn't even want to speak to most people that came in. I would just stare at them when they'd ask me questions. I didn't want to take anything for pain, not until it got really bad. However, Shoemaker (my doctor) came in a broke my water... that was a different experience. ugh. Contractions got worse and then they decided to do the epidural. Not a bad experience, btw. didn't hurt. The nurse held me while i held a pillow. We said jokes, it wasn't as scary as I thought it'd be.

My doctor checked me again at 6PM. He told me that I was at 4 cm, to me that was exciting news. To him, he said that If I didn't progress within the next hour that he would have to go into a c-section. The nurse ended up coming in and she tried helping me by rotating me on the bed to help move him down. The hour ended and she was told to check me... she reported back to the dr that she thinks i progressed alittle, but it didn't matter. Shoemaker called it... I would have to go into a cesarian.

At that time i wasn't talking very much, but you could tell everyone was trying to console me and make sure that i was ok with it. at that point, it didn't matter. i cried because i figured it'd be hard without a partner to recover, but there wasn't anything i could do. i elected my sister Laina to be in the room with me during the surgery and my mother to be with Laken in the nursery when they weighed, measured, and bathed him. it worked out perfectly. my sister was the most awesome cheerlearder talking me through everything. saying how Laken was almost there, and when she could see him. How did she manager to look so great with a mask, shower cap, and scrubs... i don't know, but she was pretty to look and and calming. the whole time i was on the surgery table I was shaking! i kept praying, reading "Lord Gob, please just calm my body" which worked immensely!

laken soon arrived, and i had no clue where he went. next thing i know my sister is calling me from an adjoining room asking me if i could see him. i didn't until the nurse stepped aside and there he was. the baby that was apart of me was so far away. it hurt. they soon brought him over to me just long enough for me to kiss him twice and touch his face.

i went into recovery, which i clearly didn't need... i talked the whole time and begged for ice chips! i was later wheeled into my room as i waiting for the arrival of my little man. my family was all surrounded, who had already saw him get bathed and had little stories to tell me, waiting too. they were going to see him for a little bit and then give us time to finally be together. and that is exactly what happened. shortly after he got there we did skin to skin followed by our first breast feeding session. i was in love, i am in love!

thursday and friday was filled with visitors and learning. i couldn't be anymore grateful for all the people that stopped by and for the staff at bay area! it was a great experience and i wouldn't change a thing. i can't wait to share stories of he and i together. and the things that i have learned and will learn.

after our first week together... i have learned that things don't ever go as expected and you have to be able to overcome life's challenges and always be open minded to a change in plans. its been a tough week, but i wouldn't change it for anything.

until the next time i can get a chance to write in here. (which i hope is very soon!)

very much picture heavy: (sorry)

tuesday night... being pampered for the last time as a pregnant women. (my last drinks of water for - FOREVER!!)
my adorable sister getting ready for the show
my mom waiting for the nursery action after the surgery
introducing.... LAKEN!!!!!
laken's view of his mommy from the other room
getting "cleaned" up to come see mommy
FINALLY seeing my bubby.
i wished my arms were strong enough... i'd of snatched him away from the nurse. i wanted him so bad.
proud nana!
thats my big boy. :)
watching crowd
happy family and friends
i think in this picture i'm just amazed at what i made.
i looooooove him.
soaking it all in
maw maw
his nana who he loves oh so much!
my little ball of flesh
after his photoshoot for new born pictures
just hanging
miss sarah (blurry baby)
mrs val col (weird looking baby)
christina holding laken, thinking of marty.
cousins finally meeting one another. look how into it squid is. i love it!
baby squid... he's a looker!!
grandma rogers
miss maris!
my aunt diana
family picture
after seeing the pictures today.. those ears make lake look like a girl, but i think he is adorable anyway!
tori (well.. my arm is getting tired.)
tiffskiff! she helped me tons at the hospital and she even stayed with me one night. she'd of probably breastfed the baby if she could... thats how much she wanted to help. (THANKS A TON!!)
mrs. jamie :)
our going home picture. :)

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the family, Laken!!! I love him already and am so very proud of you, he is very lucky to have such a sweet mom and we can't wait to meet him! xo, linsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Welcome to motherhood. It's bliss. He is PRECIOUS! Enjoy. You seem to have an AWESOME support system. That is so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your baby! I'm glad he made it safely into the world!

    ReplyDelete